Advocacy Tracker & Training
Proposed Rules and Legislation
The NC General Assembly began their “long” legislative session in late January, 2017. The long session typically lasts 5-6 months. Below we’ll list legislative initiatives we are following as they are introduced and post Action Alerts when we need volunteers to take action on a proposed piece of legislation or rule change. Please sign up below to be an Air Advocate and receive up-to-date action alerts. Get more information about current legislative activities on the NC Legislature website.
2017 NC Proposed Legislation
- HR401: A House Resolution Supporting a State Goal of One Hundred Percent Clean Energy By 2050 and the Creation of Green Jobs
- SB236: Efficient and Affordable Energy Rates
- Medical Advocates for Healthy Air submitted comments to the NC Utilities Commission signed by 80 medical and health professionals urging the Commission to require Duke Energy to significantly increase the amount of renewable energy they plan to generate in North Carolina during the next 15 years as stated in their Integrated Resource Plan. Read our comments >>
- Clean Air Carolina and Medical Advocates for Healthy Air submitted technical comments with our partners, the Catawba Riverkeeper Foundation and Southern Environmental Law Center, objecting to the state’s air permit for the Allen Steam Station which doesn’t require Duke Energy to use the most effective technology to control mercury and other air toxics from their coal plant in Gaston County. Read our comments >>
- Clean Air Carolina and Medical Advocates for Healthy Air submitted comments to the New Hanover Planning Department and New Hanover County Commission urging them to prohibit heavy industrial facilities from locating near residential areas and schools. Read our comments >>
Sign up for our eNewsletter and action alerts!
Current Air Quality Issues
Is there an air quality issue in your community or across the state that particularly concerns you? Would you like to write a letter to the editor or speak with a policymaker about it? Please refer to our Advocacy Manual, or get in touch with us. For issues involving health, please contact Medical Advocates for Healthy Air Manager Laura Wenzel at email@example.com. For general issues, or issues pertaining specifically to the Metrolina region, contact Clean Air Carolina Program Director Terry Lansdell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In partnership with Moms Clean Air Force and Mothers & Others for Clean Air, MAHA has developed trainings on working with the media and with state legislators.
- How Does Government Work?
In this webinar, we discuss the structure of our government and how it works.
- Your Voice Matters! Ways You Can Advocate
Learn important tips on communicating your story to your elected officials and other ways you can make a difference.
- How to Talk with Elected Officials
This video explores the advocacy tactic of meeting with policy makers.
- Media Engagement
This webinar discusses strategies on speaking with the press.